Oh Yum… I love cupcakes – I am sooo addicted to them… they cook quickly and are sooo easy to eat and not to mention the taste and texture is terrific…
Every weekend you can always find a new delicious batch
of cupcakes on my dinner table… I just love on baking
cupcakes early in the morning and filling our house with wonderful smells… Here’s a new cupcake recipe I dabbled with… I got a huge thumbs up from some very very finicky teenagers … these are simply divine… they are miniature coffee cakes with a little surprise in the middle – chocolate chips! These are really simple to make and pack a big bang on the taste buds…!
Surprise Crumbles Recipe
Serves: About 15 (if you don’t eat the batter!:))
Prep Time: 15 minutes
3 c. Bisquick Baking Mix (yes and it is devine!)
2 large eggs
1 c. chocolate chips, ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips
1 c. sugar, extra fine
1 1/2 c. sour cream, breakstone’s
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp. madagascar bourbon pure vanilla or mexican vanilla
1/4 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. nuts, chopped (Optional…I omitted but you can use hazelnuts or pecans)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
2. With mixer mix 1 minute: Bisquick, eggs, sugar, sour cream, butter.
3. With mixer mix vanilla for 1 more minute.
4. Pour 1/3 batter into paper lined cupcake pan.
5. Sprinkle with 1/2 Streusel mixture, then 1/2 chocolate chips.
6. Pour 1/3 batter on top of the Streusel/chocolate chips. (this will come to the top of the cup cake liner… don’t worry… the cupcake will have a small overhang after baking…)
7. Sprinkle with remaining Streusel.
8. Place a dollop of batter on each cupcake. (this is to secure a pick if you want to stamp a cute image on cardstock and attach to a toothpick…)
9. Bake 10-20 minutes at 350 degrees fahrenheit until a knife comes clean when inserted into cupcake. Don’t overbake these…
10. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- I use a very special cupcake liner – it’s by Hoffmaster – the 4.5″ x 2″ fluted baking cups. These cupcake liners peel off the cupcake nicely – especially for this recipe where the cake is very tender and delicate…
- I also use a very special vanilla in all my baking – either madagascar bourbon pure vanilla or mexican vanilla by Nielsen-Massey. Williams-Sonoma carries this brand name…
- I used ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate or semi sweet because of the brown sugar the chips sit on top of. I didn’t want this cupcake to be too sweet… just enough flavor to wallop a punch… here’s a great place to find great chocolate… it’s Nonnie Waller’s… and here’s my next favorite woodhouse chocolate! Oh…. one more… and they also sell coffee Fauchon Chocolates – France and don’t forget the yummy sweet sloops chocolates from Harbor Sweets…mmmm!
- Present your cupcakes on a special homemade stand… here’s a great tutorial for how to make your own stand …. and don’t forget to use Stampin’ Up! papers to make your stand! Cake Journal.com Homemade Cupcake Stand Tutorial…
- As a beautiful idea… on the top tier of the stand instead of putting
cupcakes… put a small arrangement of flowers in a sterling silver or crystal container… use Stampin’ Up!’s designer originals ribbons to decorate the silver or crystal container… see the pin cake box blog for more ideas and a picture of this…
- Place beautiful paper doilies on each tier… you can get the doilies and the cardboard cake rounds from Kitchenworks.com or from the Royal Store .com.
- Here’s a great place for more cupcake recipes: Howtoeatacupcake.com
Enjoy! These cupcakes disappear quickly!